The Salzburg Card
A Salzburg Card is the best way of seeing the popular tourist attractions of Salzburg. If you are planning on visiting three or more sights, then buying a Card will definitely save you money. Here’s how.
The card allows you:
-Free admission to Salzburg’s top attractions (see list below)
- Free use of public transport (including the funicular railway up to the fortress)
- Free Salzburg guidebook
- Free city map
- Discounts on many other Salzburg attractions, Salzburg tours and other cultural events in the city.
You can purchase a Card from the Wolfgang Amadeus Airport, at any Salzburg Tourist Information Center, at the ticket shops and possibly at your hotel.
The cost of a Salzburg Card depends on whether you buy it for 24 hours, 48 hours or 72 hours, and whether it is in high or low season. It does initially appear to be rather expensive, but when you see what the card is valid for, it really is worth it. You will probably end up going to places you were not planning to see!
A 24 hour card in high season costs 25 euros (US$34) for an adult.
A 24 hour card in low season costs 22 euros (US$30) for an adult.
A 48 hour card in high season costs 34 euros (US$46) for an adult.
A 48 hour card in low season costs 30 euros (US$40) for an adult.
A 72 hour card in high season costs 40 euros (US$54) for an adult.
A 72 hour card in low season costs 35 euros (US$S7) for an adult.
The amount in US dollars will vary depending on the exchange rate.
Children aged 6-15 are half-price, infants 0-5 are free.
High Season is May to October. Low Season is November to April.
These are the attractions that a Salzburg Card allows you free entry to:
• Cable-Car Untersberg
• Catacombs St Peter
• Cathedral Excavations
• Cathedral Museum
• Festival Halls
• Folklore Museum
• Georg Trakl Memorial
• Hellbrunn - Palace and Trick Fountains
• Hohensalzburg Fortress
• Miracle's Wax Museum
• Mozart's Birthplace
• Mozart's Residence
• Museum of Natural History
• Museum of Modern Art - Monschberg
• Museum of Modern Art - Rupertinum
• Panorama Museum - New Residenz
• Residenz Gallery
• Residenz State Rooms
• Salzach Cruise
• Salzburg Baroque Museum
• Salzburg Museum - New Residenz
• Salzburg Zoo
• Stiegl-Brauwelt - The World of Beer
• Toy Museum
• Traditional Salzburg Costumes
• Public Transport
These places are some of the most interesting of the Austria tourist attractions. For example the view from the cable car ride up the Untersberg is amazing on a clear day. Untersberg is one of the tallest mountains in the Salzkammergut area, and is only a 20minute bus ride from the old town, taking bus number 25. When you reach the top, you can see as far as Salzburg airport and the Hohen Tauern mountains in the distance. Quite spectacular for a free sightseeing trip using your Salzburg card!
Discount prices will be given to you if you use your Salzburg Card with the following companies:
• Audio-Visual City Tour - iTour
• Avis Car Rental
• Casino Salzburg
• Celtic Museum in Hallein
• Schauspielhaus Salzburg
• 5 O'clock Concerts
• Golling Waterfall
• Inlingua Language School
• Keltenblitz - Summer Toboggan Run
• Kletterpark Waltbad Anif - High Ropes Challenge Course
• Lammer Gorge
• Monte Mare Golling
• Museum Burg Golling
• Salzach Gorge in Golling
• Mozart City Tours - Salzburg Sightseeing Tours
• Mozart Piano Sonatas
• Salzburg Guide Service
• Salzburg Fortress Concerts
• Salzburg's Marionette Theatre
• Salzburg Palace Concerts
• Salzburger Klassik - Music in Mirabell
• Sound of Salzburg - Show and Dinner
• Top Bike Salzburg
• Untersberg Challenges - High Ropes Challenge Course
• Salzburg Open-Air Museum
• Silent Night Museum Oberndorf
• Silent Night Museum Hallein
• Hallstatt Salt Mines
• Berchetsgaden Salt Mines and Royal Palace
• Old Salt Mines/Bad Reichenhall
• Watzmann Therme
A word of warning – your Salzburg Card time period starts when you purchase your card, so bear that in mind when buying one.
The Crowning of Mary
If you decide to visit the Salzburg Cathedral (Salzburg Dom) there is an architectural secret that not many people know about. In front of the cathedral there is a large statue of Mary. You need to stand in front of Mary with the cathedral behind her. Walk back as far as the arches until Mary looks really small, and then slowly start to walk forward. You will see the golden crown behind Mary, slowly 'move' down onto her head. This is known as the 'Crowning of Mary'. Take a few minutes to look inside this beautiful Baroque cathedral. Admission is free.
Return to Sound of Music Tour Page from Salzburg Card
Return to The Sound of Music Home Page
Bookmark & Share